Re: Should service outboard? Not cranked for 3 years

Andrew Sallee (ajsallee@engin.umich.edu)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 00:51:59 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01BE5DFD.8D4263C0

Water pump impellers seem to last OK. I have a Merc 3.5 circa 1976 that =
is on all original parts. The only advice I'd give you would be to =
change the gear lube. This is an easy DIY. A tube of 80 weight lube is =
anywhere up to about $5. Oh yeah, check the intake spark arrester, make =
sure a mouse didn't build a nest inside.
Andy Sallee
Beatrix, P19-854
-----Original Message-----
From: Scott <sfoshee@NMLRP.nmlrp.com>
To: West Wight Potter - Post <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Monday, February 22, 1999 1:23 PM
Subject: Should service outboard? Not cranked for 3 years
=20
Let me preface this by saying that I know very little about outboard =
engines, but I take direction well (when I'm not talking in class).... =
:^)
=20
We bought an almost-new Mercury 5hp longshaft about 3 years ago, had =
it checked out, and ran it once. It has been stored in a warm room ever =
since, and has not been cranked for 3 years. Now we are getting ready =
to use it, and I am wondering if I should take it in for another checkup =
(at least $45, probably more), or just try to crank it myself. It looks =
brand new, but I am afraid of dry rot (in the water pump?), seizing =
something up, or worse. Does anyone have any good advice? Thank you!
=20
- Scott
Charleston, SC

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01BE5DFD.8D4263C0

Water pump impellers seem to last = OK.  I=20 have a Merc 3.5 circa 1976 that is on all original parts.  The only = advice=20 I'd give you would be to change the gear lube.  This is an easy = DIY. =20 A tube of 80 weight lube is anywhere up to about $5.  Oh yeah, = check the=20 intake spark arrester, make sure a mouse didn't build a nest=20 inside.
Andy Sallee
Beatrix,=20 P19-854
-----Original = Message-----
From:=20 Scott <sfoshee@NMLRP.nmlrp.com>To:=20 West Wight Potter - Post <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Dat= e:=20 Monday, February 22, 1999 1:23 PM
Subject: Should = service=20 outboard? Not cranked for 3 years

Let me preface this by saying = that I know=20 very little about outboard engines, but I take direction well (when = I'm not=20 talking in class)....   :^)

We bought an almost-new Mercury = 5hp=20 longshaft about 3 years ago, had it checked out, and ran it = once.  It=20 has been stored in a warm room ever since, and has not been cranked = for 3=20 years.  Now we are getting ready to use it, and I am wondering = if I=20 should take it in for another checkup (at least $45, probably more), = or just=20 try to crank it myself.  It looks brand new, but I am afraid of = dry rot=20 (in the water pump?), seizing something up, or worse.  Does = anyone have=20 any good advice?  Thank you!

- Scott
Charleston,=20 SC
------=_NextPart_000_000F_01BE5DFD.8D4263C0--