Re: Should service outboard? Not cranked for 3 years

George Sweet (georges@carol.net)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:40:47 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01BE5FFB.48DC9C00

From: Scott <sfoshee@NMLRP.nmlrp.com>
To: West Wight Potter - Post <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Monday, February 22, 1999 1:32 PM
Subject: Should service outboard? Not cranked for 3 years
=20
Scott,=20
One other thing to consider: I had a simular situation with an Eska =
7.5 a few years ago. I cranked it, it ran. The second time I cranked =
it it didn't run because behind the carb is a little rubber diaphram =
that runs off the suction and acts as the fuel pump that had rotted and =
ruptured. I noticed as I sat two miles from shore that small amounts of =
gas was dripping from the exhaust and the lower unit. If your moter has =
the same pump arrangement (as apparently many do) you might want to have =
it checked as this is not a terribly uncommon problem.
George Sweet=20
P 19 Sea Dove
Greenville SC
=20
=20
Let me preface this by saying that I know very little about outboard =
engines, but I take direction well (when I'm not talking in class).... =
:^)
=20
We bought an almost-new Mercury 5hp longshaft about 3 years ago, had =
it checked out, and ran it once. It has been stored in a warm room ever =
since, and has not been cranked for 3 years. Now we are getting ready =
to use it, and I am wondering if I should take it in for another checkup =
(at least $45, probably more), or just try to crank it myself. It looks =
brand new, but I am afraid of dry rot (in the water pump?), seizing =
something up, or worse. Does anyone have any good advice? Thank you!
=20
- Scott
Charleston, SC

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01BE5FFB.48DC9C00

-----Original = Message-----
From:=20 Scott <sfoshee@NMLRP.nmlrp.com>To:=20 West Wight Potter - Post <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Dat= e:=20 Monday, February 22, 1999 1:32 PM
Subject: Should = service=20 outboard? Not cranked for 3 years

Scott,
One other thing to consider:  = I had a=20 simular situation with an Eska 7.5 a few years ago.  I cranked = it, it=20 ran.  The second time I cranked it it didn't run because behind = the=20 carb is a little rubber diaphram that runs off the suction and acts = as the=20 fuel pump that had rotted and ruptured.  I noticed as I sat two = miles=20 from shore that small amounts of gas was dripping from the exhaust = and the=20 lower unit.  If your moter has the same pump arrangement (as = apparently=20 many do) you might want to have it checked as this is not a terribly = uncommon problem.
George Sweet=20
P 19 Sea=20 Dove
Greenville SC

Let me preface this by saying = that I know=20 very little about outboard engines, but I take direction well (when = I'm not=20 talking in class)....   :^)

We bought an almost-new Mercury = 5hp=20 longshaft about 3 years ago, had it checked out, and ran it = once.  It=20 has been stored in a warm room ever since, and has not been cranked = for 3=20 years.  Now we are getting ready to use it, and I am wondering = if I=20 should take it in for another checkup (at least $45, probably more), = or just=20 try to crank it myself.  It looks brand new, but I am afraid of = dry rot=20 (in the water pump?), seizing something up, or worse.  Does = anyone have=20 any good advice?  Thank you!

- Scott
Charleston,=20 SC
------=_NextPart_000_0029_01BE5FFB.48DC9C00--