Re: sRe: pilot holes for #10 metal screws

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 17:02:29 -0800

RSKARAM@aol.com wrote:

> I'm considering putting a fitting on my mast. The fitting requires #10
> screws. What size pilot holes do I place in my mast for a #10 metal screw?
> We have a new West Marine in Oklahoma City now, but they don't know.

I hold drill bits up to the screw and find one that just covers the
skinny shank part, but not the outer edges of the threads. A thicker
drill and the screws won't hold. A drill bit thinner than the inner
diameter of screw, and you can't get the screw screwed in. That's
perfectly clear, right? When in doubt, start with a smaller bit, and go
bigger only if you can't get the screw screwed in.

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri-16, #74, no name yet,
and selling a WWP-14, Popeye, #561, in San Diego.
OLDSURFDUDE