charts & self steering

Tom Bodine (tbodine@seasick.sps.mot.com)
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 16:00:28 -0600 (CST)

CyrusWD@aol.com wrote:
> Ah Tom
>
> Here I am thinking you guys with P-19 have the space of the Queen Mary. Being
> a naviagator on a P-15, this is what I do. I do my homework at night while at
> anchor. Before I start my trip, I lamiate small charts to keep them
> waterproof. I sit on the chart while sailing. In the NW rain is plenty
> along with high gusts of wind. I have set my boat up to self steer while I do
> plots and take shots. I also post the chart on the companion hatch during
> critical moments. If you want to be inspired, read Tinkerbelle by Robert
> Manry, a 13 1/2 ft sloop that crossed the Atlantic and Alone against the
> Atlantic by Gerry Spiess, 10 ft boat.
>
> Cyrus P-15 #629
> Bellingham, WA

Thanks Cyrus

I didn't see if you'd posted this to the group, so since it's
handy I thought I would.

Someone mentioned how to rig this self steering mechanism using
just the sail and a bungee or innertube. Someone got a picture?

I probably need help rigging Frimi so she doesn't have much
weather helm. I have a tiller tender, but I can't seem to set
it so she'll keep to one heading unless the winds are real light.

# Regards Tom Bodine @
# Skipper "Frimi" P-19 #1019 ,-+-'
# Dancing to the music life has given me. A