Re: Mainsheet Mania

Jim Sinclair (jsinc@ftconnect.com)
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 19:17:16 -0800

Jerry,
Our new P19 arrived on Saturday. Poured down rain all day so we played in
the garage. Sunday dawned with blue sky and sunshine so we raised the mast
and set all the rigging in the driveway just to see if we still knew where
everything should go. (Later of course it rained, but what the heck it's
Oregon!) As for the main sheet, the boat came with block and becket on the
port side, a single block on the starboard, and a double on the boom. The
manual however, showed the block with becket on the starboard side, and the
single block on the port. (Unless I read it wrong, and it's too cold an
rainy to out to the boat to get the manual now.) Being a Virgo, and one
who ALWAYS reads instructions, I swapped the transom blocks and led the
sheet through to it's logical conclusion. Although I don't have the sails
yet (frown), it looks like it will work this way. So... DO I have a
problem? Seems to me that the purchase is the same either way, and it
doesn't matter which side the single or becket block is on. Any Opinions?
(as if I had to ask).

As for your backstay kit, it installed perfectly. However you should add a
claustrophobic warning to your instructions that you have to crawl HEAD
FIRST, ON YOUR BACK, into the starboard quarterberth to get to the place
where you attach the washers and nuts! (I would add that Polar Fleece
doesn't slide well on the fabric cushions when trying to extricate yourself
from the depths of the quarterberth.)

And finally, thanks to you all for the great advice and group learning
experience you've provided me while waiting for the boat to arrive. I look
forward to being able to contribute positively as well. (Just as soon as
the darn sails arrive!)

Jim Sinclair
Portland, Or
WWP19 #1084 "Second Wind"