Re: Chinese Gybe

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 17:21:45 -0800

Ron Force wrote:

> "Chinese gybe, a type of wild and unpremeditated gybe which occurs in a
> sailing vessel when the main boom lifts over to the lee side of vessel
> while the gaff does not follow. It is so called because of its
> prevalence with the Chinese junk rig with its light bamboo battens and
> no boom to hold the foot of the mainsail steady."
>
> The Oxford Companion to Ships & the Sea, 1976.

I know that happens on a traditional gaff rig with no intervening full
length battens, but I sure have a hard time picturing that on a Chinese
lug rig because of the 4 or 5 full length battens between the boom and
gaff. Where would they go? Seems like they would bring all spars to
one side or the other. All the spars are held down by downhauls, too,
so they couldn't ride up to "turkeyleg," or "goosewing." Also unlikely
because the Chinese lug rig is counterbalanced with 25% on one side of
the mast and 75% on the other. The whole thing always swings easily to
the lee side. I think the definition may have been invented by gaff
riggers who liked adding the term "Chinese" to phrases to indicate
"complicated," as in the term "Chinese road map."

I haven't sailed a Chinese lug rig, but I've read everything ever
written in English on them.

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri-16, #74, no name yet,
and selling a WWP-14, Popeye, #561, in San Diego.
OLDSURFDUDE