Re: Genoa sail prices

Carol Gula (cgula@innet.com)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 15:14:43 -0500

Greetings, Judy, et al:
Unless North has changed their nomenclature since 94, what you are
describing as a "gennaker" is a "drifter". My Cal 36 North Gennaker was an
assymetrical spinnaker. The drifter from the same loft, had a wire luff, no
hanks, 1.5 nylon, 160%LP, high clew, full cut, was usable from close reach
to a run, and fit your description below exactly. The drifter is gybed
exactly like a genoa. You describe the correct method for gybing an
assymetrical spinnaker, except that usually the tack is attached to an
adjustable line rather than the boat. Easing the tack line first makes the
manuever easier. Also, assymetrical spinnakers require a swivel at the
head, since they turn inside out as they change sides. Further, tacking an
assymetrical spinnaker is foolhardy. You can easily tack a drifter. We
usually flew the drifter in light air races such as the Newport-Ensenada in
combination with a nylon staysail in a modified cutter configuration. By
sailing higher, we were able to generate enough apparent wind to keep moving
even when more sled like hull forms couldn't keep a spinnaker full.
Assymetrical spinnakers were illegal in PHRF then.
For my P19, I was able to get a great deal on a used Doyle assymetrical
spinnaker, and it provides a fast stable ride downwind. My next experiment
is to try to rig a pivoting pole at the bow, to move the tack some 4 feet
out to winward and thus improve performance on a dead run.
Regards,
Mac Davis, Kelpie, WWP19#804, Aripeka, FL