Genoa sail prices

SolarFry@aol.com
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:36:34 EST

In a message dated 3/7/99 4:42:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, JBlumhorst@aol.com
writes:

<< Subj: Re: Genoa sail prices
Date: 3/7/99 4:42:55 AM Eastern Standard Time
From: JBlumhorst@aol.com
To: SolarFry@aol.com
CC: wwpotter@tscnet.com

In a message dated 3/6/99 8:03:17 PM Pacific Standard Time, SolarFry@aol.com
writes:

>The 5 oz genny is rated for a maxumum applicable wind of 25 knots.
>Even though this is higher wind than I would use a genny in, the sailmaker
>recommended it for durability over the 4 oz. In fact, Cruising Direct
>doesn't even make a genny out of cloth lighter than 5 oz. The cost for a
>genny out of 5 oz 5400 dacron is $2.65 in the 100-300 square foot range.
>The P19 genny is about 113 square feet. $2.65 x 113 = $306. (you will
>need to provide exact I & J measurements to CD before they make your
>sail.) This includes the luff tape for a CDI or hanks and a sail bag.
>
>There is a minimum charge of $300 for any sail, so the smaller lapper or
>storm jib would both be $300.
>
>The UV cover adds 15% , hence the price of $46. In December, quoted
>price was good for delivery within 2-3 months.

Judy:

Contacted Cruising Direct through Boat US number. Spoke to S.
Gilbert. Prices quoted follow:

5 oz. sailcloth price = 2.65 square foot
3.2 oz sailcloth price = 3.25 square foot.

3.2 oz will attain wind foil shape faster and at less wind pressure
than 5 oz and recommended for light air (2 - 15 MPH). 3.2 oz should
not be furled wet as mildew forms on sail quicker than on 5 oz due
to different materials. Should not be cleaned with harsh chemicals.
He recommends a hose and fresh water to clean.

Ordered 3.2 oz performance cloth as I take sails off when rain is imminent.
Our rain carries black soot that leaves black stains on everything... One
rainfall on powerboat leaves thick black deposit where it runs or channels
through floor and on sides where it drips. Unless we get really heavy rains
for more than a day we have soot deposits everywhere. Price of living in the
city I guess...

Price paid for sail:

107 sf @ 347.00
UV 52.00
S & H 40.00
TCost 439.00

Delivered price should be $ 439.00. No Boat US discount. However will get
three gift certificates of $10 each. Reducing effective price to $409.

Now I hope I'll be alive to enjoy it. Will undergo Cardiac Catheterization
(angioplasty) within 2 weeks. Understand this is a common procedure but
still... A wire through leg vein to heart is no picnic... Wish me luck!

bEsT

Solar Fry
P19 #1028, "Elusive Margin"
Pompano Beach, FL