RE: Cam, Clam, Jam, and clutch.

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:05:46 -0800

richard,

Mine (#1632) is the same as you describe except I have no block for a spinnaker
and my halyards go to 4" horn cleats on the mast itself.

I can't say that I fully understand why people spend money and take the trouble
to bring the halyards back to the cockpit on a P-15. The halyards are easily
reached from the bridge deck, without leaving the cockpit, and during reefing
you have to reach up there anyway to secure the tack cringle to the reefing
hook. Even getting the sails down quick, in an emergency, involves only a few
seconds to uncleat the halyards. Pulling the mainsail down and gathering it and
pulling the jib downhaul in are done from the cockpit in either arrangment.

Running the halyards aft may be a more important issue on the P-19, but don't
you still have to go to the mast during reefing?

Dave Kautz

"Hardware impaired" P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA
Subject: RE: Cam, Clam, Jam, and clutch.
Author: Non-HP-Richard.Dickerson (Richard.Dickerson@TTMC.TTUHSC.EDU) at
hp-boise,mimegw7
Date: 3/9/99 2:27 PM

Judy and web gang,
I think this goes back to the difference between the way the P-15 and P-19
are rigged. I am pretty sure mine is factory but do not know for sure.
Anyway, my main halyard is 1/4" yachtbraid on a bight around a wichard
shackle, secured by whipping. The block at the top of the mast is a
standard harken cheek block attached near the top of the mast by two pop
rivets. The topping lift is opposite the main halyard. The spinnaker and
jib halyards pass through simple blocks attached by eyestraps riveted to the
mast. The turning blocks for the main and jib are cheek blocks pop riveted
near the foot of the mast. The stays are attached by eyestraps and pop
rivets to the mast. Is anyone else's P-15 rigged different. Any
suggestions for improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Richard