Re: Cam, Clam, Jam, and clutch.

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:14:07 EST

In a message dated 3/9/99 3:06:28 PM Pacific Standard Time, DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-
Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com writes:

> richard,
>
> Mine (#1632) is the same as you describe except I have no block for a
> spinnaker
> and my halyards go to 4" horn cleats on the mast itself.
>
> I can't say that I fully understand why people spend money and take the
> trouble
> to bring the halyards back to the cockpit on a P-15. The halyards are
easily

> reached from the bridge deck, without leaving the cockpit, and during
> reefing
> you have to reach up there anyway to secure the tack cringle to the reefing
> hook. Even getting the sails down quick, in an emergency, involves only a
> few
> seconds to uncleat the halyards. Pulling the mainsail down and gathering it
> and
> pulling the jib downhaul in are done from the cockpit in either arrangment.

David, I'd have to agree with you there. The P15 is a different case than the
P19. It might be nice, but an average sized person can reach everything
easily on the P15.

> Running the halyards aft may be a more important issue on the P-19, but
don'
> you still have to go to the mast during reefing?

Nope. With jiffy reefing (two line on my boat) lines run aft, everything can
be done from the cockpit. Which is good, because I'm too vertically-
challenged to reach the mast from the companionway, and who wants to leave the
companionway open in heavy winds anyway?

> Dave Kautz
>
> "Hardware impaired" P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy

LOL, Dave.