Re: Diminishing Returns

Lars S. Mulford (mulford@bellatlantic.net)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:04:01 -0500

Gordon wrote:

> Wow! You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I must have a more
> complicated setup on my lateen Potter because it still takes me about a
> half hour to get in the water, or maybe I have it down to about 20 minutes
> now. Maybe not.

Harry:

Nothing magical about it, we just have different approaches to setting up.
There are a lot of things that gybe with your list. Here is a quick list of how
setup ran for "Always" as I remember it.

For DE, I buy a yearlong entrance pass from DNREC which allows me into any state
park or launch facility without having sto stop and pay for entrance fees. They
see your pass on the windshield and wave you on through. That in itself is a
big time savings, not having to wait in line. Also, before leaving (whether
sailing solo or with Rachel (my youngest daughter), all our gear, foodstuffs,
her crayons, etc were packed into our cooler and so they are centrally located -
another time savings, especially since the cooler is already in the boat.) So
what is left has to do with launching the boat and related.
1) undo and remove come-along strap and loosen bow winch strap
2) back down ramp, park, and shove boat off trailer, grabbing it by bowline
(bowline was always attached to fore cleat and shoved down the vent)
3) walk boat to side of ramp and beach
4) park and secure car/trailer and return to boat
5) remove mast/boom/spar assembly by removing 3 heavy duty bungees that attached
it to starboard side of boat
6) while unwrapping sail, lift mast and drop into mast slot
7) run mainsheet and connect traveller & attach rudder
8) plug electric motor into socket mounted on transom
9) at this point, we go. We either motor out a short distance and then raise
sail or raise sail right there, let it weathervane, and sail away.

> Five minutes? I don't think so Tim.

Harry, not once in owning "Always" did it ever exceed 5 minutes.

--
"Sea" ya!

--Lars S. Mulford, President East Coast Potter Association (ECPA) Come visit us at http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor "Forgive, and live. Life is worth the challenge of living." --LSSM