Re: 3 sheets to the wind.

Carol Gula (cgula@innet.com)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:54:13 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01BE6D37.72F5E8E0

Hi Doug: In the deluge of replies you will receive, remember that you =
just asked for advice (and didn't specify good advice). =20
So here's some:
First, it's not pointing angle alone that indicates good windward =
performance. Boatspeed is the other factor. Optimizing both gives you =
max VMG, which is what gets you there ahead of the other guy. Some =
boats sail faster by pointing lower. To maximize VMG:
Install telltales on both genoa luff and main leech. They're the =
cheapest good advice you can get about sail trim.
Set the luff tension on the genoa as tight as you can get it. (My guess =
is that this is the reason you point higher with the small jib - the =
lower wind total load doesn't deform the jib luff entry as much.)
Rig some method of adjusting the genoa sheet lead fore and aft. Use a =
Barber hauler to adjust the genoa sheet lead athwartships.
Install telltales or a wind pointer, as well as some method of =
determining boat speed to 0.1 knot.=20
Find some steady wind and go sailing.=20
After you tack, fall off a bit to regain boat speed as the genoa fills =
on the new tack.
When the genoa is full and drawing on the new tack, come up to the =
desired course (initially try apparent wind =3D about 45=BA) and adjust =
the sheet and fore and aft genoa lead until all telltales are streaming =
aft (not fluttering). Then adjust the main until all telltales are =
streaming aft.
Hold heading carefully and let the boat reach its max speed. Then come =
up a little more, and repeat until you have established the best speed. =
Mark your genoa sheet for that position. Then repeat on the opposite =
tack and mark the other sheet.
Now do the whole thing over again with the genoa lead moved inboard say =
3". Decide where the max performance athwartships lead position is and =
mark that.
After doing this, you will have established bench marks for your boat at =
that particular windspeed and sea conditions. Repeat or extrapolate to =
develop the performance envelope for your boat.
Hope this helps,=20
Mac Davis, Kelpie, WWP#804, Aripeka, FL=20