Re: Garmin GPSII+ Amnesia Cure

Bill Blohm (bblohm@boi.hp.com)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:14:29 -0700

Gordon wrote:
> On the Estela trip, my GPS II+ batteries ran low and I lost all my
> waypoints, preferences, etc. The manual says that should not happen because
> the unit has a 10-year lithium battery that is supposed to retain the
> memory when the AA batteries run low or are being changed. I've had the GPS
> for over two years, and this was at least the third time that I had lost my
> waypoints.

May I suggest you get the program Waypoint+? Since you all have
the ability to post here, I assume you also have the ability to
use this program. It's a free program that allows you to work with
your waypoints on the PC and to upload/download waypoints, routes,
and tracks from your GPS to the PC. I've used it for a couple years
now and it's great for organizing waypoints and just plain backing
them up. It supports the icons for the newer Garmins, too.

Just a suggestion that might help someone else with a GPS avoid
completely losing their waypoitns and routes.

Bill B.
P-19 #454, "Dream Catcher"
Nampa, ID