Re: The Lonely Reefer

The Costas (uffda@sonic.net)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 22:43:45 -0800

Kellan wrote:

>...I started wondering what
>would be the correct way to reef and change down if I were sailing
>single-handed. I've read a bit about it in general but I would love to
>hear from experienced Potterers about the particulars as they relate to
>the best procedure for the P-19.

Jerry taught me to:

1. Head on a tack that is perpendicular to the wind
2. Lower the jib
3. Slack the main sheet until the front third of the main is luffing
4. With the boat balanced, tie off the tiller
If you need to reef the main, this is the time to do it.
5. Go in the cabin, untie the hatch and put the new sail on the "V" berth
6. Climb out on the fore deck and change sails
7. Climb back to the cockpit, raise the jib and trim it and the main
8. Untie the tiller.

I tried this in a 15knt wind with one foot chop and was amassed at how well
it worked.

Thanks again Jerry

Larry