Re: separated rudder laminates

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:32:37 -0800

on@utk.edu wrote:

> Hello. I just became the proud owner of P15 #1007! The boat is in fair
> shape, but has a bunch of goodies and modifications. However, the upper
> part of the rudder, which is laminated wood is starting (actually, has
> started) to separate. Does anyone have suggestions, experience with
> glueing this back together?
> p.s. I have owned a lot of boats, and am looking forward to sailing
> this really neat "thin-water" cruiser!
> Max Dawson mdawson@utk.edu

Max, if it has been in salt water, I think it is lost. I tried all
kinds of things for a few years, including polyester and epoxy resins,
not to mention varnishes, and the salt just kept leeching out and
delaminating it. That's why Popeye has a whole new rudder assembly from
IM. The new one is much lighter and more of a foil shape anyway, so it
is better. If you want to repair that one yourself, start with some new
wood, marine grade plywood of the proper thickness, cut it to the same
shape and saturate it with epoxy resin to water proof it. Drill all
wholes, make all cuts, first, then saturate everything in unthickened
epoxy, not polyester, resin.

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri-16, #74, no name yet,
and selling a WWP-14, Popeye, #561, in San Diego.
OLDSURFDUDE