Re: Stove Replacement

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:55:59 EST

In a message dated 3/23/99 6:44:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
DGFleagle@worldnet.att.net writes:

> >I was under the impression that ABYC sez propane is a no-no inside a cabin
> >without leak detectors and storage compartment vented only to the
outside..

> Hmmm. Safety, eh? That would certainly be a consideration, wouldn't it?
> Little reminders like that are what makes this list so useful. Thanks.

Hi Webgang,

>From what I've read, both propane and butane are heavier than air. The
greatest safety issue, as I understand it, is that a leaking cylinder inside a
poorly ventilated cabin can lead to an accumulation of explosive gas in the
bottom/bilge of the boat. This is a serious issue for boats with large tanks
and fittings, whether you're using propane or butane.

I think, but don't have it on good authority, that with small stoves, it's
safer to disconnect the cylinder from the stove when the stove is not being
used so that you can't accidentally open the valve. And you should always
ventilate the cabin when you're using the stove.

I have a gimbled "Sea Cook" propane stove for use inside the cabin and a
Magnum propane barbeque that attaches to the cockpit rails for outside
cooking. The "Sea Cook" is very cool, because the gimbling lets you can use
it even when the boat is heeling; it also has three adjustable tines that grab
the outside of the pot and prevent the pot from slipping.

plan on just disconnecting the cylinders when they're not in use. I don't
know if that's the best safety solution, but it's the best one I can come up
with for now.

Best regards,
Judy B.

Judith Blumhorst, DC
HMS18/P19 Fleet Cap'n, Potters Yachters
1985 WWP19 #266 Redwing
(Rigged so a petite woman can solo)
Sailing on SF Bay, CA
(5-35 knot winds, 2-4' chop, 2-6' swells, and currents up to 6 knots)
Visit <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/jblumhorst/HomePage/index.htm">Judy B's
West Wight Potter Pages</A>
and <A HREF="http://songbird.com/potter_yachter/">The Official Web Site of the
Potter Yachters</A>