Re: Geniuses are among us

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:11:03 -0800

Steve Barnes wrote:

>I think that order is ok. That crab claw is a fascinating rig. Thanks
>for the tip. I can see an easy modification of a lateen rig, using the
>same spars. It does have a lot of similarities with the lateen rig, and
>some differences. I don't know if the lateen rig uses that vortex lift,
>or not. Incidentally, some research says that the Chinese lug rig uses
>that vortex lift funneled along each sail section between those
>relatively large, full length, battens. Now I see two more rigs
>experiments with Popeye, if I don't sell her. I could go either way on
>that, too. Hmm...
>
> :)
>
>Steve Barnes sailing a Capri-16, #74, no name yet,
>and selling a WWP-14, Popeye, #561, in San Diego.
>OLDSURFDUDE

Well, okay, as the second greatest genius, I am wondering how that crab
claw rig would be when the wind hits 25-30 or more knots. In the neutral or
"umbrella" position, the wind would still get under it, and as the boat
heeled more canvas would be exposed, accelerating the capsize tendency. The
reefing system consists of reducing the angle between the two spars to
depower the sail, but I can imagine all that slack cloth billowing and
flapping. I guess you could just lower the rig, furl it, and run with bare
pole.

This genius finds the concept difficult to visualize. I'd sure like to see
such a rig up close and in action. Of course, the vortex lift principle is
intuitively obvious to the most casual observer, so I won't attempt to
explain it. :)

Harry Gordon
Lateen Rigged P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA