Re: Attaching Hardware to a P15

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:51:40 -0800

IMHO the 90 degree angle of the lines (45 deg on each side) is more
important than having the Tiller Tamer far out on the tiller. I was able to
route my lines to the traveler attach straps because my early Potter has
the straps much further apart than on the new boats. If you don't have the
correct angle (mine is a little off), the line tension changes as the
tiller is swung.

I have a clamcleat on one side so I can adjust the tension, but that would
be unnecessary if you used the stern cleats. I prefer to keep the stern
cleats free for the stern lines.

I mounted my Tiller Tamer on top of the tiller, which is convenient, but
putting it on the bottom would be neater and work as well. On my early
model tiller, the Tamer clamps on so I didn't have to put holes in the
tiller. The screws go through the open center of the tiller and through a
block of wood under the tiller.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA