Re: Tohatsu/Nissan 3.5 external tank and wind speed discussion

SolarFry@aol.com
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:53:34 EST

In a message dated 3/30/99 5:50:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, ej@glock.tx3.net
writes:

<< Subj: Re: Tohatsu/Nissan 3.5 external tank discussion
Date: 3/30/99 5:50:34 PM Eastern Standard Time
From: ej@glock.tx3.net (Eric Johnson)
To: SolarFry@aol.com
CC: wwpotter@tscnet.com
> I can see this...
>
> Blowing 30 MPH, seas 6 - 9', motoring in with 3.5 w/internal fuel tank...
Run
> out of fuel at inlet... (Wasn't that obvious?) <G> Hang over stern and open
> fuel cap on outboard. Swoosh a wave promptly drowns 3.5 under water and
fills
> gas tank with water. >BF< Disconnect motor with one hand on tiller, one hand
> on jibsheets, one hand on fuel tank, one hand on motor to drain water
> overboard polluting ocean with gas and one hand to hang onto boat. <G>
> Reinstall motor and rehook fuel doohickey. Pump gas in.. lean over and
crank
> engine. Then.. No need... <G> I am already sitting on top of breakwater and
> can walk home... <BG> As I walk towards beach on breakwater Coasties come
over
> and hand me 2 tickets. One for dumping gas with water overboard ($500,000)
> and another for parking a sailboat on the breakwater! ($55.00) >ABF< Soon a
> towboat appears and pulls boat off breakwater billing me for salvage...
>
> I imagine that hand operated fuel pump would be ok while sailing in very
> protected waters where not more than 10 knot winds are ever expected and
waves
> never reach more than 3'. For ocean use I would strongly urge a motor with
> separate fuel tank of more than 2 gals...

This kinda begs the question - if you have 30K of wind, you wouldn't need
the motor :)

You hasta know the inlet to know why wind is not an issue... Breaking Waves
launching you into warp speed is... Quite a few motorboats encounter the
breakwater and land on or under it... Some have gone completely over it into
the collector bay without damage! Weird stuff...

SF