Re: New P19 Hatch Boards - Varnish? smarnish!

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 18:28:19 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/99 3:21:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ej@blarg.net
writes:

> Have you tried this? It sounds like a great idea (and God knows I'd love to
> not spend as much time varnishing)... but I'd be afraid that the great
> expansion/contraction of wood in heat/cooling cycles would be too much for
> acrylic clear paint. In the half-dozen or so books on boat maintenance I've
> read in the last year I've seen no mention of it. On the other hand, that
> finish seems to work fine on cars which spend as much time in the sun as
our
> boats. Anyone else tried this?

I'd heard this was a good top coat to protect the epoxy. I tried it on my
lower rudder blade.

First I stripped it, sanded, and sealed it with three coats epoxy. Then two
or three coats of spray white epoxy paint. Then three coats of clear
acrylic. It's chipping and shows scratches like crazy and it really shows up
because it's white. Glad I have the epoxy underneath to protect the wood.
Maybe I didn't do it right, but the results aren't satifactory.

On the other hand, the upper part was done with Armada Finish (sort of like
Cetol, but I like the color better). Stripped it, sanded, sealed with three
coats epoxy. Six coats Armada. Very few chips that I see (maybe they're
there and I just don't notice -- I'll have to check). Looks great.

Regards,
Judy B.