Too Loose, Lautrec (was: time study)

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:35:32 -0700

I wouldn't recommend sailing your boat with the rig that loose. There is no
need to remove the shrouds when rigging or unrigging but the headstay
should be snug and requires being detached for rigging. I don't know the
vintage of your boat, but I was under the impression that most have a quick
release (1/4 turn type) fitting. Mine, of course, is the exception and I
have a pin and clip. Even so, rigging in 20 min. plus 10 min for launch and
park is about what it takes me.

A loose headstay will trash the shape of your jib and affect the way the
boat sails for the worse. I'm also uncomfortable that the mast may not be
secure - as it bends under loads, it gets effectivly shorter. worsening the
situation.

One thing that we do differently that might reduce your setup time -
Although I remove the boom from the mast, I leave the boom, mainsheet,
bridle & topping lift fully rigged and secure the boom next to the mast on
the cabin top, rather than disassembling everything and putting it in the
cabin..When raising or lowering the mast, I hook the jib halyard to the
pulpit and use it to tension and hold the rig while I attach the headstay.
I leave the halyard attached there on the pulpit during transport and
storage so it is always ready for the next time.

There have been a number of discussions about whether or not to trailer
with the motor mounted, so I won't touch that except to say that I don't.
I often don't mount the motor until the boat is in the water. This is
because I have a tilt trailer and if I'm keeping the hubs dry at a shallow
ramp I have bumped the motor on the bottom during the "tilty" part of the
launch. I mount the rudder after launch for the same reason.

One of these days I'll itemize my launch (right now I'm itemizing my
deductions in my spare time....) the way Harry and Eric Zilbert have to see
where I could make it more efficient.

Best regards,

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy