Re: capsize

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:33:30 -0700

Has anyone verified that the later P15s actually have a 100 lb centerboard,
or does the 100 lb include the cement blocks that some boats have? The "70
lb" centerboard in my first generation P14 weighs 65 lb.

In static conditions - no wind, smooth water, no one on board - we once
tested a P14 gunter rig and a P15 sloop by pulling their masts all the way
down to horizontal. As I recall, both boats righted themselves without
taking on water. I think this is what the manufacturer means by
"self-righting." With wind and seas and people on board, the results can be
quite different.

When Pottering about in sheltered, shallow water with light winds, I leave
my centerboard down but unsecured, so it can bounce off the bottom, and I
may have my hatch open so I can reach things inside. But when I'm on open
water and the wind and waves are starting to get "interesting," I tie down
the centerboard and secure the cabin hatch. I use a rubber tiedown strap so
it will have some give if the board hits something. I don't want more than
one passenger under such conditions. I'm usually singlehanded.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA