Man Overboard - Oh Oh! Boom used as fulcrum to lift people outa

SolarFry@aol.com
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:33:38 EDT

Dudes:

IMHO:

I would suggest you all wear your Life Preservers when you try this stunt.
Try it near dock on a warm day with little wind.... Most vessels doing this
are over 30'.

On a lil P19, 200 lbs 8' (boom length) off the beam and 2 (200 lb) persons on
beam fidgeting with lines and tackles could get kinda wet... Specially if
mainsail is up... You are sticking over 600 lbs on that rail... Think about
it...

A lil wind...

A lil wake...

and...

Glug glug glug!

I would suggest... <BG>

Drag dude to stern ladder and pull him back up aboard by the stern. You can
use your tackle? to hoist him up back there, where it's safe. It's a 19'
sailboat with only 400 lbs. deadweight holding it upright. you'se (weese?)
guys gotta stop trying to turn it into a transatlantic ship, capable of Trans
Warp speed in 40' seas and 200 mph winds... <BG>

SF <SG>
Now... let me get back into that jacussi in my P19. Gotta relax before I
tackle installation of that 454 Cubes V8 under cockpit in that lil bilge...

In a message dated 4/12/99 10:48:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
eric@winternet.com writes:

<< Subj: Re: Man Overboard

It has been rumored that JBlumhorst@aol.com said:

> This procedure might even damage a P119; I don't know if the P19 gooseneck
is
> strong enough to survive long enough to get the MOB on board. The boom
is, I
> think even if it does bend a little, but maybe not the gooseneck

Hmmm... I'm considering beefing up my topping lift to 1/4" specifically to
support MOB recovery using the boom. I hadn't considered the sheer force
on the gooseneck, but, with the lifting tackle attached near the end of
the boom (maybe right at the topping lift attachment), and the boat heeling
with the weight of the MOB, I'd think the vast majority of the force would
be straight down. That downward force would be taken by the topping lift,
not the gooseneck. I'm very curious about your experiment with the spare
boom.

> I was talking to a girlfriend of mine with thirty years cruising
experience
> yesterday. She has a 4:1 block and tackle on a heavy-duty velcro strap
that
> she keeps in the cockpit. (It's like the one sailmakers give you for the
> clew of a loosefooted mainsail; you could hoist a grand piano with it)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lifting my 225 lb self with a 4:1 arrangement
would require 56.25 lbs of force, right? We experimented this weekend with
the mast raising tackl, which gives 3:1. I secured one end to an overhead
tree branch and the other end to me. My wife tried to hoist me off the
ground, and had a difficult time of it. The 3:1 purchase would have needed
75 pounds of force. I'm going to rig a 4:1 to see if it seems good enough
for her, but I think 5:1 might be the way to go.

Of course, the triple block with cam cleat needed for one end of the 5:1
system is not cheap. If 4:1 works well, I'm may just get one of those
Garhauer vang kits for the purpose.

--
Eric L. Pederson
P-19 #970, Necessity