Re: capsize reason

Bill Blohm (bblohm@boi.hp.com)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:53:28 -0600

RAeschlima@aol.com wrote:

Ralph, I don't think that would be the case. I sheared my shear
pin once, and at that point when you rev the engine, it doesn't
turn the prop. The prop might turn if the boat is under way, from
the force of water passing over it, but it won't speed up when
you twist the throttle.

It may be that Bernie was just heading into current and wind that
was greater than his engine and prop could overcome. Also, as he
mentioned going aground, it may be that he was already aground at
that point and so couldn't make way, no matter how much he revved
up the engine. That would explain why the prop would spin but he
wasn't moving forward.

I've once been in the situation where I couldn't move forward no
matter how much I increased the throttle. In this particular case,
the wind was so light and it was late at night, I'd run aground
in soft sand so gently that we hadn't noticed. :-/ I finally did
notice that we weren't going anywhere, and poking around and
attempting to sail in these light winds finally revealed that we
were aground. Kedged out to deeper water, set the anchors, went
to bed for the night. :-)

Bill B.
P-19 #454, "Dream Catcher"
Nampa, ID