Re:Tilt trailers, why?

TillyLucy@aol.com
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 02:02:05 EDT

n a message dated 4/12/99 7:46:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mcalva@ix.netcom.com writes:

> If I read between the lines correctly, you all have rollers and not bunks.
>
> Maybe I have been backing into the water too far, I'll try next time as the
> water won't be warm enough for comfortable wading in Minnesota. Its my
> recollection that the bunks once dry stick to the hull and don't slide
> anywhere. I have always had to float the boat off (submerged hubs and all).
> I have seen some kits that convert bunks to rollers, but have also heard
> that bunks are best for boats that live on the trailer most of the time,
> especially with lighter weight hulls.
>
> So do tell. Do you have rollers? If so, are you leery of "denting" your
hull
> by leaving the boat on the trailer 99.9% of the time?
>
> Mike Calva
> "Panacea" P19 #719

Mike,

Our trailer is a "Shoreline". It has three keel rollers on the centerline,
two are on the portion that tilts and one forward of that. There are two
carpet covered bunks mounted on pivots, they are mounted on the rear
crossmember alongside the aftmost keel roller. I believe that much of the
weight is carried by the rollers, the bunks serving more to stabilize the
boat, but I do strap it down tight and the bunks are under pressure - they
are hard to move due to the weight on them. I've seen no obvious indications
of "denting", but I haven't looked that closely. The hull is reinforced in
the area above the bunks which may help

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA