Re: Boom - above or below slot?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:37:51 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/99 5:27:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
sfoshee@yahoo.com writes:

> This may sound like a goofy question, but I'm going to
> ask it anyway. Should the boom go above or below the
> wide opening in the mast slot?

Hi Scott,
Usually, the boom goes below the sail feed slot. Otherwise you would have to
fuss with lowering the boom if you needed to reef the mainsail, and you don't
want to be doing that when you're under pressure to reduce sail. On our P19,
I have set the boom as low as 8 inches below the bottom of the sail feed, but
usually it's only two inches below.

On our P19, (which boat do you have?), we remove the sailstop (the removable
thingie with the thumb-screw tightener) and let the first few slugs out of
the mast slot so it sits lower on the boom when it's flaked (folded like an
accordian).

Regards,
Judy B.

Judith Blumhorst, DC
HMS18/P19 Fleet Cap'n, Potters Yachters
1985 WWP19 #266 Redwing
(Rigged so a petite woman can solo)
Sailing on SF Bay, CA
(5-35 knot winds, 2-4' chop, 2-6' swells, and currents up to 6 knots)
Visit <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/jblumhorst/HomePage/index.htm">Judy B's
West Wight Potter Pages
</A>
and <A HREF="http://songbird.com/potter_yachter/">The Official Web Site of