Re: Tilt trailers: Why?

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:48:50 -0700

I think there may be some misunderstanding about the tilting operation. The
trailer doesn't tilt as soon as you pull the pin, it tilts as the boat slides
rearward and the center of gravity goes behind the axle. The trailer pivots
around it's own hubs. The "hinge" point forward only allows the tongue to
articulate and remain attached to the hitch ball. Thus, it doesn't matter how
far forward the boat rests when in the trailering postion. Any trailer would
"tilt" if you released the hitch and then slid the boat back, wouldn't it?

>From what the P-19 owners have said, it sounds like the 19 is too heavy to slide
back when completely out of the water. Floating the stern to get some weight off
the bunks and rollers may be the only way to launch the 19.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA

Subject: Re: Tilt trailers: Why?
Author: Non-HP-tedduke (tedduke@usa.net) at hp-boise,mimegw7
Date: 4/13/99 3:25 PM

Bill and Bill,

My 1990 Shoreline sounds exactly like Bill C's. I have
never tried tilting it because I don't know how. DUH???
It may have been setup for tilting when I bought it usedin
93, but I moved it forward to put proper weight on
tongue. Haven't really needed to tilt, although the
wheels get wet on some ramps(I always take long enough for
the bearings to cool anyway). I tow with a 4WD F150 so
haven't had a slippery ramp problem, although I have seen
others with that problem.

Ted Duke
WWPs19 #626
Mountains of Virginia