Re: P19 Mast raising revisited

Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 07:45:12 -0700

On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 06:19:23AM -0800, GraphComm Services wrote:

> Speaking of using one piece of equipment for two purposes, remember that
> there is a nifty winch right near the bow if you are raising the mast while
> the boat is on the trailer - the trailer winch! Wifey and I use it with
> great success while raising and lowering the mast on Windsong. We snap the
> winch hook onto the forestay, which we lead over a home-brewed roller gizmo
> that hangs off the pulpit to keep the winch line 'fair'.

It occurs to me that if you connected the trailer winch to the main
halyard, and if you had the main halyard run to the cockpit, you
could do this all single handed -- lower the mast until it was
reachable from the cockpit, get a hand on it, then release the
halyard to let it down the rest of the way.