New headliner installation

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:22:54 EDT

Webgang,

OOPS. Fumble fingers and wrong settings on my mailer. Didn't mean to send
that last message. Try again.

In a message dated 4/19/99 3:14:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time, SolarFry writes:

> Sounds like the best idea I've heard so far...
>
> Before you adopt Velcro... Check temp at which it comes unglued... Some
of
> them have a glue that comes off at over 125 degrees F. So If cabin top
> reaches that temp the liner will fall off... Out here in FL in summer P19
> cabin top reaches 150 degrees F. Make sure you use right glue!
>
> Good luck
> SF

Hi SF,

I've been too busy with the gelcoating to write much. It's finally done,
except for a few touch up spots on the rubrail and back half of the keel.
The cabin and the front half of the bottom have all new gelcoat.

I've pretty much decided to use 5/8" stainless wood screws with finishing
washers for the headliner (per Larry's suggestion). And I'll re-install the
original wood trim on the edges. I'm thinking about a layer of soft foam
under the headliner so all the nuts from the cabintop hardware don't show so
much.

I figured I needed about 25-30 feet of marine grade velcro (by 3M) to do a
neat job. At about $3/foot! I also figured I'd have to sew the velcro on the
headlinerto get a really good attachment. That's too much money and too
much work. I think the screws with finishing washers will be cheaper, easier
to install, and perfectly adequate for meeting the requirement of being able
to remove the headliner to rebed cabintop hardware when it requires
maintenance.

Regards,
Judy B.

Judith Blumhorst, DC
HMS18/P19 Fleet Cap'n, Potters Yachters
1985 WWP19 #266 Redwing
(Rigged so a petite woman can solo)
Sailing on SF Bay, CA
(5-35 knot winds, 2-4' chop, 2-6' swells, and currents up to 6 knots)
Visit <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/jblumhorst/HomePage/index.htm">Judy B's
West Wight Potter Pages
</A>
and <A HREF="http://songbird.com/potter_yachter/">The Official Web Site of