Re: trailering question

Rich Gort (rich@gorts.com)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:02:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999 james.r.sinclair@exgate.tek.com wrote:

> My new P19 came with a trailer that has a "bunk" in the centerline about 3
> or 4 inches below the bottom of the boat, so it's directly in line with the
> daggerboard. When it was delivered, the board was in the full UP position
> with the safety pins through the board and then lowered to rest on the edges
> of the trunk. The question is this: do you trailer with the board's weight
> resting on the sides of the trunk via those two pins? or do you lower the
> board to rest on the centerline bunk of the trailer? I'm interested in
> knowing which you do and why. Thanks.

I lower the board to rest on the bunk. My original Dilly trailer had a
bunk there for the purpose, and I used it. I do keep a little tension on
the cable, but the majority of the weight is on the bunk. The only
disadvantage IMHO of doing this is the extra operation of raising it for
launching and lowering it after retriveal, and you don't want to forget to
raise it before launching. I just got a new trailer for SAYOKO and made
sure that it could be arranged to easily install a bunk at the proper
location. It has a cross brace at the right place, which I am in process
of adding a bunk to for the centerboard rest. Using it takes a lot of
weight off the hull, not to mention the wear and tear on the centerboard
trunk. Just make sure that the bunk is attached to the trailer frame and
not to the axle.

Rich Gort
WWP19 #202 SAYOKO
Lake Stevens, WA
Sailing Northern Puget Sound and North Cascades Mountain Lakes