Re: Epoxy cure times?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:21:04 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/99 12:23:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time, hlg@pacbell.net
writes:

> I wonder if it would help curing to roll down some wax paper on the tacky
> epoxy? Doesn't epoxy cure better without oxygen? Judy? The wax paper
> shouldn't stick to the epoxy and should leave a smooth finish.

Gelcoat is what you're thinking of. It won't cure unless you seal it off
from air by:

a) cover it with a sheet of acetate or mylar (good for smooth finish on small
areas or perfectly planar surfaces. don't be tempted to use cellophane
scotch tape. It makes a gooey mess <grin -- don't ask...>)

b) spray the top with PVA (polyvinylacetate?) (I've never tried this method.
If you don't get the pressure just right, you cause orangepeel. If you miss
a spot, the gelcoat doesn't cure there. The pros use this method, but they
usually have a separate spray gun set up just for PVA so it produces a very
fine mist at very low pressure)

c) add a surfacing agent ( a specially formulated wax that rises to the
surface and seals it. (This is the method I use on medium to large areas,
very easy and works every time.)

I have *never* heard of covering epoxy to get it to cure. I don't think it's
necessary and I've never tried it. I'd be wary of the wax on the paper. I
don't experiment with novel ways of working resin. I read the directions
twice before I start and I follow them EXACTLY. I don't skip any steps or
add any new ones. I learned that the hard way <g>

I use wax paper underneath loose pieces that I'm varnishing, because the
varnish doesn't stick to it.

Regards,
Judy B.