Re: Winch Question

james nolan (nolan_laboratories@email.msn.com)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:17:42 -0600

From: Spooner <spooner@gateway.net>
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 4:05 PM
Subject: Winch Question

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Hi all,
>I've been sailing my new P-19 #1091 I keep it on a mooring so I don't
>have to keep launching and retreiving and I do keep the centerboard down
>while moored. My question is when I do crank on the centerboard it feels
>hard to crank and I here a crunching sound in the transom area, is this
>normal?
>Cheers...John in CO

I've got the same problem on my P-19 when pulling up the keel. It has two
loud clacking sounds on about the last two revolutions of the winch. Also
the pulley system on the keel has been damaged it looks like the cable cut
through the pulley flange. The previous owner told me the winch cable was
hanging up on the winch when it was rotated and it seems like that is very
likely the problem, I haven't looked at it yet (but will). However the loud
noise is great at dockside when others are around, they all jump and look in
horror. I calmly tell them I am retracting the wheels up into the wells
because this time I'm not driving it up on shore. I dont think the operation
is correct, it may be a design flaw.
Cheers and loud clacks.....Jim also in CO