Amphibous P19 [was Winch Question]

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:39:52 EDT

In a message dated 4/22/99 10:06:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
nolan_laboratories@email.msn.com writes:

> keel has been damaged it looks like the cable cut
> through the pulley flange. The previous owner told me the winch cable was
> hanging up on the winch when it was rotated and it seems like that is very
> likely the problem, I haven't looked at it yet (but will). However the loud
> noise is great at dockside when others are around, they all jump and look
in
> horror. I calmly tell them I am retracting the wheels up into the wells
> because this time I'm not driving it up on shore.

That reminds me of a crazy story I heard last weekend at the Sail Expo show.
My sailmaker told me the story, he said he got it from the fellow in the
SailCare booth.

There was a P19 owner who was outfitting his boat to do the Northwest
passage. However, there is a 20 mile section of land to be traversed. they
story goes like this.

He drilled holes in the hull, put and axle through with wheels and thusly
completed the passage, over water AND over land.

I can't imagine it's a true story, but then again....

Regards,
Judy B