Re: Wide-128 again

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:09:45 EDT

In a message dated 4/22/99 11:21:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
eric@winternet.com writes:

> d air bubbles trapped in the epoxy, which would cause
> the unit to read zero. I'm afraid I can't give any advice on removing the
> transducer. Oh, Judy...

I don't know much about depth sounders but I know a little about epoxy.
Sorry to say that I don't have any good ideas either. Epoxy is tough stuff.
You can't pry the transducer off unless you did a really poor job of
attaching it. The transucer will probably break first.

The only idea I have is to saw it off with a very thin blade.... or chisel it
out or grind it out carefully. I think I've seen round flexible "files" like
a thick emery-coated wire in the hardware store. Or maybe a dremel tool with
a tiny grindstone.

None of these options sound very good to me. It's hours of work, you'll
probably damage the transduer, and/or damage the hull enough so you need to
repair it.

I'd maybe leave it where it is and buy a replacement transducer. But first
I'd figure out how to make sure that the problem is the place it's mounted,
not the transducer or the meter malfunctioning. I don't know how you do that.

For next time (if there is a next time)
I've heard from several folks that you can mount a transducer inside a wide
diameter PVC pipe glued to the hull. Here's the general idea (the details
may be wrong)

Cut the pipe to match the deadrise (the slope in the hull) so the pipe is
vertical. Glue it in place with something like silicon. Fill the pipe with
mineral oil and drop the puck in. Cover the pipe with something so the
mineral oil can't splash and the wires can exit.

That way you can remove the transducer if it malfunctions.

Sorry I can't offer any better advice. I feel kinda bad for Tom B.

Judy B