Re: Winch Question

Kellan Hatch (khatch@uswest.net)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:57:45 -0600

John in CO wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've been sailing my new P-19 #1091 I keep it on a mooring so I don't
> have to keep launching and retreiving and I do keep the centerboard
down
> while moored. My question is when I do crank on the centerboard it
feels
> hard to crank and I here a crunching sound in the transom area, is
this
> normal?

The first time I lowered and raised mine, it made so much noise I
thought it was coming apart. That was after trailering it hundreds of
miled from the factory. I raised and lowered a couple of more times and
it gradually got better. I noticed that the looser it has been and the
longer I trailer, the more noise it makes. I believe this is because
the loops move around a little from vibration and create friction on
each other. Even in the best situation its still kind of noisy, but
having cranked it a couple of dozen times now I've come to accept this
as normal.

Kellan Hatch
P-19 #1059 "Moondance"
Murray, Utan