Re: Raising Centerboard

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:37:25 -0700

Andy,

The sine is dependant on the angle, and is the same for any radius. The
_percent_ changes in position are therefore correct as originally stated. To get
the actual distance moved, multiply the radius of the point you are interested
in times the sine or cosine of the angle. The center of resistance of the
centerboard will change slightly, as you pointed out, since the shape of the
exposed area is a little different with the change in angle, but it's not going
to be anything like a factor of two.

The overall center of resistance of the boat is going to be affected by more
factors than just the centerboard position. As Steve Barnes pointed out, moving
back in the cockpit will lift the forward part of the lee chine out of the water
and present more of the after section of the chine to the water. The effect is
to move the center of resistance aft.

Best regards,

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA

Subject: Re: Raising Centerboard
Author: Non-HP-ajsallee (ajsallee@engin.umich.edu) at hp-boise,mimegw7
Date: 4/24/99 10:49 AM

Gordon,
Just a little correction...
You're right about calculating depth, but for moving the CENTER of effort,
you need to figure out how far back the center of the area of the board
moves, not how far back the tip moves. This is actually a fairly
complicated calculation because of the way the amount of board 'hiding'
within the hull changes. You need to know how high the pivot is in addition
to the profile of the board. As a quick estimate, just use half of the sin,
since you're looking at the middle of the board. So it moves back ~12%.

Andy
Beatrix, P19-854