Re: WWP19 KEEL LIFT modifications

Ted Duke (tedduke@usa.net)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:49:00 -0400

Bill and gang,

I got a chance to use the bigger hammer tonight. I have a
4 # hand sledge, but didn't need it. Got all three bolts
out of the keel. The two smaller ones that hold the old
Garhaurer single block on the keel, and the larger one
that the end of the wire was hooked to. (I know, never end
a sentence a preposition with.) Used a large plastic
screwdriver handle on the small ones and a regular hammer
on the larger. With nuts on them of course. Bill, guess
yours are a lot older than mine and "grown in" as a friend
used to say.

Anyway, got them out, drilled larger holes in the
Garhaurer double block and should have it installed with
the line this weekend. It will install with the rear
small bolt and the large bolt as the holes in this block
do not go thru the center of the sheave as they did on the
single one. The existing holes in the new Garhaurer
double block do line up with those two holes in the keel,
so it's easy to just enlarge them to fit the bolts. Had
to use a die on the samller bolt after hammering it.
BTW I think I said in a previous post that the sheave was
damaged by the wire on this block. I used the WRONG term.
I guess it's the strap, it's the side piece that was cut
2/3rd's of the way thru (and didn't break). Sorry!

Am looking forward to having it done, as the keel cranking
system has never impressed me, too many creaks and groans
and too hard to crank. Will let you know how it works.

Ted