Bedding cleats (Was forsale/not for sale)

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Sun, 2 May 1999 12:07:41 EDT

In a message dated 5/1/99 9:08:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ttursine@gnt.net
writes:

> > bed them in
> > some 5200 or sealant goop
>
> I would think hard before using 5200; the blasted stuff gives a far
> more permanent bond than you probably want. If the cleat _ever_ needed
> replacing again, you (or a later owner) would get plenty of cursing
> practice. I use silicon sealant, but there are other choices. Consult
> a West or BOAT/US catalog.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Combs
> WWP 19 #439 (Aug 1987)
> "Ursa Minor"
> Fort Walton Beach FL
> ttursine@gnt.net

Hi Webgang,

Bill has a very good point there. Use 5200 and you'll never get it off. I'd
consider using a polysulfide-based compound (e.g. Life Caulk) for long life,
adhesive properties and flexibility. Or maybe 3M 4200.

If you're going through solid fiberglass, you can seal both the outside and
the inside of the bolt. If you're going through wood-cored deck, only seal
the outside -- if it leaks you want it to drip into the inside so you will
notice it and repair it. You don't want the water dripping in from the top
and having no where to go but into the wood core -- you'll be inviting wood
rot.

If you're really interested in doing it the "shippy" way, you can build a
epoxy fillet so you're going through solid resin, not through a cored area.
See my webpage
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/jblumhorst/GennyTracks.html">Installing Genoa
Tracks on a Potter 19
</A> for an explanation of one way to build fillets. Another way is to
drill out a hole for the fastener, dig out the wood between the two
fiberglass skins, fill it with epoxy and then re-drill the hole.

When you're using the beeing compound, you can use isopropyl or denatured
alcohol for wiping up the extra goop. Works great. Use lots of paper towels
and throw them away as soon as they get sticky, so you don't smear the goop
around every where.

First clean the area and remove any old goop with a razor. Wipe with acetone
or lacquer thinner. (For you cautious types, check in an unconspicuous spot
to be sure your gelcoat can take it, but I've never had any problems.) Use a
drill bit to clean out any old goop in the fastener hole.

Tape off the surrounding area. Apply lots of goop to the whole underside of
the cleat. Lightly tighten tthe nuts/boltsfender washers. Remove the tape
and wipe off any excess goop with alcohol. (Avoid saturating the tape with
alcohol, sometimes that casues the tape to do weird things if you use cheap
masking tape.) Wait a day or two for the goop to cure. Then snug the nuts
down the rest of the way to form a compressed gasket. Some goop may be
squeezed out from under the cleat when you snug the fasteners. Just wipe the
excess away with a cloth dampened in alcohol (don't saturate the joint).
Your end result will be a long lasting, neat installation.

Best,
Judy