Re: Lightning storm precautions and procedures

SolarFry@aol.com
Wed, 5 May 1999 09:58:57 EDT

Expanding on my previous response:

<snip >> They are still wondering why the electricity did not take
>short route through steel girders to ground instead of jumping
>a 10' air gap to strike these guys.

If I recall accurately, the article claimed lightning hit light standard
above position of girders but failed to go straight down girders to water...
<maybe it was a feeder from ground up?> Somebody saw it happen from a Marina
across the way... Article carried safety warning: "If caught out in a field
you should lie flat on ground during a lightning storm to present least
exposure to a strike". further comment was "You are safer in an automobile
than a home as the vehicle acts like a Faraday Cage holding electricity away
from occupants."

Here in Florida a lightning strike has killed one person inside his home...
He was on the phone at the time...

I remember this stuff because I have always been concerned about getting hit
by one of this "Power Surges". <G>

In a message dated 5/1/99 1:46:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hlg@pacbell.net