Rudder Retraction-Extension Mechanism

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Mon, 17 May 1999 22:54:27 -0700

Bill Payne wrote:

>Dear Greg,
>Rudder down line on a p19. What is this? I'm putting my P15 in the water
>today and there is no line on the rudder. And that wing nut looks like it
>will be a reach... Seem I did see a design where a hole was drilled in the
>lower rudder and a line bent to it. The line then went up the side of the
>upper rudder and attached to the top of the tiller. Is that it? How far
>down the rudder is the hole? Does the line go up the side of the rudder or
>the leading edge (through the gudgeons)?

Bill:

IMHO the simplest fix on a P15 is a push-pull rod attached to the trailing
edge of the rudder and retained by a strap or eye at or near the tiller.
The general idea is illustrated on the PY web page at
<http://songbird.com/potter_yachter/manyway/rudrrod.gif>. I keep the rudder
pivot bolt tight enough to hold the rudder in place but not so tight that I
can't move the rudder up or down with the pushrod. If the rudder does come
up on its own, the rod acts like a flag to alert me, and I can then just
push the rudder back down.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA