Re: Lateen Rig

Perry W. Phillips (perrywphillips@prayercircle.org)
Sat, 22 May 1999 18:45:30 -0500

From: Gordon <hlg@pacbell.net>
To: larry steffen <lsteffen@webtv.net>
Cc: wwpotter@tscnet.com <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Saturday, May 22, 1999 6:32 PM
Subject: Lateen Rig

:>Hang onto that Sunfish lateen rig! I use the same rig to power my 17' alum.
canoe and 8' El Toro! Its the safest and most efficient sail rig I know of
(with leeboard / centerboard of course). >Larry Steffen HMS 18 - #373 - YUUKI

Larry,

I enjoyed the sunfish that I had several years ago, but not as much as my
teenage boys did. While I was trying to learn more about sailing efficiency
with my larger sloop rigged boats, my boys were out blasting around on Big
Lagoon in Pensacola, Fl. There's a lesson somewhere in there...

Your statement reminded me somewhat of a similar thought expressed by Joshua
Slocum (1st to sail around the world alone in a small ship). Slocum made the
statement regarding the Chinese Junkrig, however, and when his crew mutinied and
put him ashore in South America with his family he built a 35 ft. canoe style
boat and rigged it with two mast and junk sails and sailed it 5,000 miles home
to the U.S. (Voyage of the Liberdade) I must admit the lateen rig is simpler
than the junk, but the junk offers only slightly more complexity and infinitly
more control and simplicity of operation.

Harry,

>The mast socket is about a foot forward of the sloop mast, and I can still use
either rig. Harry Gordon P14 #234, Manatee Mountain View, CA

Did your boat come with the lateen rig, or did you add it? Did you do anything
special to support the mast step on the cabin sole? I've been very curious
about this. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to accomplish the mast step for my
conversion of Frodo. I really want to build a tabernacle that will simplify
raising and lowering the mast, and allow transport with the mast slid forward in
the tabernacle with a rest at the bow and stern.

I'd really appreciate your insights regarding the stress involved at the deck
and cabin sole. Have you experienced any cracking of the gel-coat or stressing
of the fiberglass?

Thanks,

Perry
Perry W. Phillips
"A better world begins with you!"

1970 C Type "Frodo" Un-numbered Hull
http://www.prayercircle.org/pwphil/pwphil.html
Port Arthur, Texas (Sabine Lake/Gulf of Mexico)
http://www.prayercircle.org
prayercircle@prayercircle.org = For Prayer Request