Re: [ecpa] Nice Sail Today

Frank Castronovo (facastro@cc.ysu.edu)
Sat, 22 May 1999 23:01:16 -0400

At 08:07 PM 5/21/1999 -0400, Lars S. Mulford wrote:
>From: "Lars S. Mulford" <mulford@bellatlantic.net>
>
>East Coasties and Web Gang:
>
>Today, I took Kathryn (10) and Rachel (6) for a sail on "Aqua". We
>launched from the head of Rehoboth Bay and sailed the length of the bay,
>through the straits, and into Indian River Bay to have a picnic on
>Middle Island. It was great!

Great story, Lars; I could almost taste the salt spray, and feel the
pressure of the wind on my face as I read it! While I'm temporarily "on
the beach'" it's nice to know that I can experience, vicariously, the
sailing exhilaration of others. Thanks.

To the Group: On the subject of sailing terminology: many of you may be
familiar with the Aubrey/Maturin novels of Patrick O'Brian (the best
nautical fiction since Forrester's Capt. Hornblower series). Well, there
is a concordance to the novels called "A Sea of Words," and it is rich in
definitions and derivations of nautical terminology in common use during
the square-rigged sailing period of the Nepoleanic Wars. Highly
recommended for building your sea-faring vocabulary!

Cheers,
Frank