Re: Lateen Rig

Steve Barnes (Oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 23 May 1999 11:31:09 -0700

Gordon wrote:

> The lateen rig is so simple to rig and sail that I
> can't see the advantage a junk rig might offer, but I confess I don't know
> much about them.

To me the advantage is to sail safely in a hugely wide range of wind and
sea conditions with easy reefing/unreefing ability. The junk rig sail
would be equal in area to a main and a 200% genoa, divided into 6
panels. By 15 knots of wind, you would have 2 reefs in already. So you
could easily keep the boat at hull speed in anywhere from 5 knot to 30+
knot winds. In San Diego in the summer, I need that extra area for the
5 to 10 knot winds.

:)

Steve Barnes, now a lurker, sailing a Capri-16, #74, in San Diego.
(former WWP-14 skipper)
OLDSURFDUDE