Re: Apples & Oranges - my .02 worth (was boom outhaul)

RSKARAM@aol.com
Mon, 24 May 1999 11:03:22 EDT

Dear Webgang
I believe that through the use of the cunningham and the vang you can
modify the shape of the sail. I keep thinking that the tension on the big
batten can also effect the shape of the sail, but I have yet to completely
convince myself.
In that the tack of the mailsail is out away from the mast, I suspect
that using slugs really aligns the luff of the sail (bolt rope) with the tack
better that it would be without the slugs.
For my personal sailing, I find that if the weather is such that I
need to flatten the sail more than is available with the factory equipment,
the weather is too much for me to handle anyway.
Richard S. Karam
P-15 #2098 Oops
Oklahoma City