Slugs and Sailing, what about a feeder?

Derek Jensen (djensen@teleport.com)
Tue, 25 May 1999 09:42:37 -0700

Websters and Slugless p-15'ers,

I must concur. I have been following this thread with interest, as I
am interested in the debate about the value of sail slugs. I have been
considering running the halyards aft using a pair of cammed turning
blocks as suggested by one of our web members. The main reason
for adding the slugs for me would be in order to avoid leaving the
cockpit to put up the main, as I don't really seem to have a problem
clawing the sail down. One partial measure I was contemplating
was adding a bolt rope feeder to the mast. These devices consist
of a two small stainless steal arms with rolling balls on the ends. They
look like they would do a good job of coaxing the bolt rope into the slot,
a job that I have to do with my fingers at this point. I think I will try this,
but would like to hear of anyone who might have tried this method in
the past.

On another note, my launch this Sunday was the best yet. I actually
used the tilt trailer as advocated by Harry and Dave, and it worked like
a charm. My trials in my barn were definitely not like doing the real thing.
The buoyancy in the stern made the boat lift off of the bunks and slide
effortlessly into the drink. Unfortunately, the buoyancy in the rudder
made it launch effortlessly off the pintles as well, but a favorable
breeze brought the unit back to the dock for me.

The sail didn't go as well, I must admit. The wind began to howl and
I came as near as I'd ever like to get to dumping poor "El Nino" ( and
poor me into the raging spring runoff of the Columbia). I had put on the
Genny, and paid dearly for it. I got the rail wet, and that about sums up
how close I got to shipping some water. My saving grace was that I
had rigged a downhaul. It took everything I had to haul down that genoa,
and I noticed later that the downhaul had burnt a sizable groove my harken cleat due
to not having a fair lead. I will be fixing that. I motored back to the dock to
put on the jib, as I didn't feel like being blown halfway to Astoria while
doing the foredeck two-step. When I got to the dock, the wind was
still piping, and I lost my nerve. Heard from another sailor friend that
it was gusting in the 20's, so I didn't feel as bad.

Take care and fair winds ..

Derek Jensen
p-15 #694 "El Nino"
Portland, OR