Re: Close call (was RE: Shrouds)-Covering those nasty turnbuckles

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Wed, 26 May 1999 16:36:26 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/99 1:16:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time, SolarFry@aol.com
writes:

> Why don't you just buy a 10' piece of 1" sch 40 pvc ( $1.89) and cut four
> pieces 14" long, one for each shroud. If you don't wanna disconnect you
can

> cut a small groove on side of pvc and push in against wire, slide down
over
> turnbuckle then tape groove with any tape. When you need to check
tbuckles
> or clips all you need do is lift pvc. No messy tape to remove from wire of
> turnbuckles...
>
> Solar Fry

Hi webgang,

I aggree with SolarFry's comment (or you can buy them ready made for $2-3
each) and I'd guess you eliminate the need for tape on the turnbuckles.

but, for safety's sake, please don't forget to tape the circular wire rings
at the top of the shrouds. Also the rings forestays, top and bottom.

And as Kellan's story so graphically illustrated, it can save your butt (and
your money) to inspect them quickly every time before you go for a sail.

Best,
Judy B.