Re: 5200 polyeurethane sealant - no longer permanent

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:57:59 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/99 6:53:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, SolarFry@AOL.COM
writes:

> Not quite so...
>
> There is now a product called 5210 polyurethane sealant remover that melts
> the stuff away.
>
> SF

Hi Webgang,

That's not quite so either ; ). It will melt 5200 away, but how will you get
it into the joint???

I haven't run into 5210 yet, but there are several new removers for
polyurethane on the market. AntiBond 2015 is probably similar to this new
5210. ( http://www.anti-ant.com/antibond2015.html)

These products DO disolve polyurethane sealants such as 5200, but from what
I've heard, it's still a ton of work.

The remover has to contact the sealant, and then you can wipe the sealant off
what ever surface it's on. On an exposed surface that has 5200 you apply the
remover and wipe off the old 5200. This works great for floor tiles, etc, or
for cleaning up old dripped 5200 -- but from what I've heard around the
marina, it doesn't really solve the problem of removing a fitting.

It's not so easy to get the remover inside a joint between a thru hull and
the hull. You'd have to grind away the fitting, apply the remover, wait,
scrape, grind, apply, wait, scrape, etc. It's no easier than just
grinding/drilling/cutting the fitting out without using any remover.

So far, I've heard that it doesn't work on thru-hulls. Until I hear
otherwise from folks who have sucessfully used these new removers on
thru-hulls and fasteners bedded with 5200, I'll stand by the opinion that
5200 is really just about as permanent as epoxy when you bed fittings. Maybe
it's even more permanent -- with epxoy, you can at least heat the
fitting/fastener with a torch or soldering gun until the epoxy softens....

Best,
Judy