RE: Sailing tips for a newbie

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 16:43:51 -0700

Eric wrote:

> It seems slow off the wind since
>apparent wind drops to zero... but oftentimes I'm blown away by how fast I'm
>actually travelling. In a light breeze you can be doing several knots and
>hardly notice it.

As Eric said. it just seems slow when you are going downwind because of the
drop in relative wind. It's easy to be lulled into a false sense of
security; then you come about and ...Whoa Nelly! Where did all that wind
come from?

Hopefully the boats that are passing you have more sail area, a longer
waterline, and/or a planing hull.

If you are running dead downwind, put a whisker pole on the genoa and sail
wing and wing, main on one side and jib on the other. Otherwise your jib
will be hard to keep filled and will be partially masked by the main.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA