Re: Disappointed new Potter 15 owner needs advice from o

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:48:03 -0700

You know, this sounds frighteningly similar to what happened to Bernie. Bernie
believes that a major contributor to his accident was the fact that the
centerboard was up and I agree in part, especially as concerns going all the way
into the "turtle" position, But as to the initial instability, what I'm
picturing in my mind (feeble as it is) is the beamy (and therefore stable) after
portion of the boat being lifted out of the water by the weight of a single
individual on the bow, the result being not unlike someone trying to stand on a
floating log. The vee shape of the forward section of the will have very little
initial stability and, with the mass of the centerboard retracted, there will be
very little ultimate stability as well.

The difference I see between having the board up or down is more an issue with
what happens to the boat after it has tilted far enough to launch it's loving
owner into the water. Board up it continues on over to it's "other"
configuration of high stability. Board down it should get to 90 degrees or so
and then flip back up providing there are no flailing sailors clinging to it.

I think the prevention of this accident may be as simple as ensuring that there
is someone of similar mass in the cockpit of the boat to keep the stern down
before an intrepid sailor ventures forward. Even so, I (195 lbs.) recall going
forward to deal with an errant jib hank while motoring with my wife (>120, <
150lbs, she'll kill me if I tell you) at the helm and the stern rose enough to
lift the prop out of the water intermittently.

Personally, I hank on the jib while the boat is on the trailer and have a down
haul rigged so trips to the bow while in the water are rare. Anchoring could be
an issue when sailing singlehanded, especially when retrieving a stubborn one
because that would tend to pull the bow down and the stern up even further.

I'm quickly convincing myself that enjoying the company of crew may be well
worth any performance sacrifice they cause and that exercising much caution to
stay on the boat's centerline when going to the foredeck would be prudent. I
think I will also try and lose some weight.....

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA