RE: Telltales

Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:35:55 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01BEB673.35FCB240

Yes, on the main the telltales should be on the leech. Typical placing is
every batten pocket. You want to keep the flow streaming off the leech. The
luff is hard to get good flow anyways because of the mast. I like the
comment about "moron flag" :) If you're like me, you'll find that you were
previously sheeting the main way too tight, and will be delighted with the
performance and reduced heeling of a properly trimmed main. Telltales
and a masthead fly (and the knowledge to use them) are just about the best
(and cheapest!) performance you can buy...

-----Original Message-----
From: Kellan Hatch [mailto:khatch@uswest.net]
Sent: Monday, June 14, 1999 2:29 PM
To: "Re:"@pop.slkc.uswest.net; wwpotter@tscnet.com
Subject: Re: Telltales

Larry Costas wrote:
Just measured the sails for my P-19 and found the measurements for
locating the telltales: Lapper, 11" back from the leading edge. Standard
Jib, 9" back. These seem to work for me, but I won't make the claim that
they are the perfect locations.
What about the main? I followed the instructions that came with my
telltales and placed them about 10" back from luff on lapper, working jib
and main. The ones on the main seem marginally useful there and now I'm
getting the feeling that all they're doing is serving as a moron flag to
tell the other sailors to stay out of my way. I crewed on an 80-mile race a
couple of weeks ago and the boat I was on had mylar sails that seemed to
have telltales placed randomly, but mostly along the leech.
Kellan Hatch
P-19 #1059, Moondance
Great Salt Lake, Utah

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01BEB673.35FCB240

Yes,=20 on the main the telltales should be on the leech. Typical placing is = every=20 batten pocket. You want to keep the flow streaming off the leech. The = luff is=20 hard to get good flow anyways because of the mast. I like the comment = about=20 "moron flag" :) If you're like me, you'll find that you were=20 previously sheeting the main way too tight, and will be delighted with = the=20 performance and reduced heeling of a properly trimmed=20 main.     Telltales and a masthead fly (and the = knowledge to=20 use them) are just about the best (and cheapest!) performance you can=20 buy...